One lip smacking traditional recipe of summers in Maharashtra and arts of Karnataka, Gujrat made specially during chaitra Navratri and Ram Navami.
- Chick Pea (Bengal Gram) -200 gms ( Soaked in water for 6-7 hrs
- Raw Mango (grated) – 1 medium size /100gms
- Oil -1 tbsp (15gms)
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Finely chopped coriander
- Asafoetida -1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Green chilles – finely chopped 1tsp
- Red chillies – 3-4
- Redchilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Grind soaked chickpea coarsely with very little water.
- Steam the ground chickpeas for 5-6 whistles in pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and add Cumin – 1 tsp, Mustard seeds – 1 tsp, Curry leaves – 10, Asafoetida -1/2 tsp, Turmeric – 1 tsp Green chilles – finely chopped 1tsp,Red chillies – 3-4 as these seasonings crackle, add half of grated raw mango and mix well,
- Mix rest of the raw mango with the steamed chickpeas mixture and add this to the seasonings.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric, sugar and salt mix well and allow to cook closed lid for 10-15 minutes on simmer.
- Keep tossing the mixture from time to time to prevent charring.
Ideal food for diabetics especially for those who like chickpea but miss out on traditional recipes without sugar
- This is an easy to make dish, filling food with Low glycemic index, hence dose not spike your blood sugar levels
- Same time its filling and rich in proteins and fiber,
- It makes and ideal morning breakfast as well as evening snack.
- It has all the needed nutrients for Diabetics and woman with gestational diabetes
- Serving size- two persons